While I am a summer baby, always ready for the pool or picnic, winter months also have their appeal. It’s the perfect time to snuggle up with your special someone, read a book or sip something warm. And this Sunday seems simply perfect for all things cozy. But what is it that really makes a day or place feel like you want to snuggle? It's all the little things combined. I have outlined my top 5 items that can transform a bedroom into some place you will never want to leave.
1. The Duvet: Jas has never been fond of duvets, he always says they're too hot or there are too many covers on the bed, but let's be honest, a duvet is essential to a perfect bed. Without one, a bed can seem flat and without that dreamy fluffy feel; they bring the snuggle factor. And just like all things, duvets some in a variety of weights. If you tend to be warm at night choose one with a lighter weight alternative down inside. You can add the fluff without all the heat. Or if you need something thicker choose a heavier one with duck down for the ultimate plushy experience.I personally love Parachute Home bedding, especially their duvets. And if you're like me and don't want a hundred layers to try to position every day when making the bed, opt to store that top sheet away until the summer and cover your duvet in a machine washable cover.
2. The Textures: Next come the textures; think rugs, pillows and throws mixed with your fluffy duvet. Faux fur throws and large pillows covered in a chunky knit pillow case will make your bed warm and inviting. If you want to add a little sparkle to the mix, think a Moroccan wedding blanket which includes beautiful silver sequins with a white knit. It brings a sense of luxury to the snuggle piece. And don't be afraid to layer your textures. Pair a pin tuck duvet cover, with a large braided quilt, a micro knit throw and faux Mongolian lamb pillow cases for the ultimate layered experience. And even if you have carpet, a warm rug beside the bed can add a little something extra.
3. The Lights: Onto lighting, and let's be honest, mood lighting is essential. Warm fires cast yellow shades and candles have shadows that dance along the walls. But if you're in an apartment without a fire place, like Jas and I, you have to find other ways to have pretty lighting. I do love candles, but my pup seems to not be afraid of anything I am always worried she is going to burn herself. So our alternative to fires and candles... string lights! Jas brought home beautiful LED constellation string lights the other day and I was so excited. The tiny copper wire make the lights seem like they're floating when you look at them from bed. The best part about string lights, you can hang them anywhere an outlet is easily accessed, around a window, headboard or door frame; along a mirror, a shelf or even the ceiling. Jas and I chose to hang our from the ceiling creating something of a canopy. They have definitely added something extra to our room.
4. The Colors: The color of a room can change the mood almost instantly and neutrals are perfect to transition seasons without having to buy all new items every year to stay on trend. I tend to love a mix of warm, dark hues like charcoals, chocolates and navies with bright shades like white and gray. The contrasting colors bring unexpected levels of interest.
5. The Company: The final item for a cozy day in a comfy room is definitely the company. Snuggling with your sleep puppy or favorite someone, any day can seem like a perfect cozy day.
See more of my favorite pin-spiration for a cozy day here. What are yours? Be sure to share pin them and tag me (@basicallybubbly). Happy Sunday!